Pages

Saturday 5 November 2016

Na's Bar & Galley (previously Bar Marina), Bitterne or St Denys



Pleasant single room bar serving local beers from gravity cask, mostly for the local boating community and nearby residents. It's right in the marina, so quite hard to find - essentially, you need to know its here. There's seating outside. It's all quite bright and breezy, with interesting quirky touches. Though a new conversion the bar has no inside facilities for disabled due to the door ledge being too high. There's space outside for a wheelchair, and a disabled toilet in the marina itself.

Two cask beers available on my visit, Crackerjack from the Cracklerock brewery in Botley - my first beer from that brewery, and Punter from the Upham brewery in Bishop Waltham.

Gravity casks behind the bar
I like this place, but they don't do food, and it's a little out of the way for me, so I wonder how often I would visit. Parking in the marina is officially restricted to boat owners, so that also makes visiting a little awkward. However, if you're using the marina, or you're as local, this is going to be an essential bar, and I can see it becoming a firm favourite with those who live in or use the area.


An airy and pleasant ambience

Date: Dec  2016  Score: 7 




I was in the area so dropped in, and glad I did. I do like this place. It has a bright airy feel. Very relaxed and friendly. Two beers on, and I went for Bowman's Lapwing as I'd not had it before, and got chatting to a small group of drinkers from Shirley who had come over to check the place out. They told me about a new craft beer place in Shirley that I need to check out. Southampton is so blessed with pubs!

Date: March 2018   Score: 8 

 


Update. Bar Marina closed in March 2019. It reopened July 2019 as Paddle &Peel, which appears to be run by the people who had the pizza van It's A Pizza Thing, which used to be outside the South Western Arms

Date: July 2019  Score: NA

 


 The place is now a Thai restaurant and bar. Not sure if they allow drinking without food - they do seem to focus on the food on the website. 

Not yet revisited. 

Date: March 2023    Score: N/A 


Unit 7A Kemps Quay
Quayside Road
SO18 1AD


Opening hours are vague. They seem to announce it on their Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment